Thursday, April 5, 2012

Happy Easter

  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
  
 
I am not making Easter dinner.  My husband and I have been invited to a very good friend's house for the holiday fare.  My friend is Italian which translates to "make seven main dishes when two would suffice and make enough for 100 guests when you have invited 40."  You can say I am being politically incorrect with that statement but so far it's held true for every Italian I've ever met and I know quite a few.  I've also noted that it get passed down through the generations as her children are the same way.

Now I don't have an advanced screening of the menu but I'll bet I'm right when I tell you that the following will be sure to appear in her spread (and if I'm wrong I'll print a retraction next week):  crepes, Easter pie, calzone, salad, potatoes, a pasta dish of some kind, baked ham, rolls, assorted breads, an antipasto tray, cheese tray, Easter cookies, candy, pies and brownies.  I'm sure about the brownies because that's what she asked me to bring.  And I'll also promise you that everyone will be leaving with doggy bags and she'll still have enough left over for a week.

Now, I'll tell you what won't be there-lamb.  Out of the 40 people dining together I think I'm the only one that likes lamb.  I can't understand it.  How could anyone not like lamb?  I think they have all had it badly prepared or, worse, they have had mutton and think that is the same as lamb.  Comparing lamb and mutton is like comparing a round steak to a filet mignon.  Spring lamb, properly cooked is fantastic and it certainly doesn't need mint jelly.  I don't know how the mint jelly carried over from bad mutton to good lamb but it's something that should certainly be discouraged.  Is there any other dish that asks for mint jelly?  No, and there's a reason for it-it is ghastly.
 
I promised my brother we wouldn't be dining on Easter bunny for Easter but I didn't say anything about having some wonderful baby lamb the next day.
 
Greek Lamb Chops
 
4 lamb chops
2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
juice of one lemon
1/8 cup dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
 
Throw everything into a plastic bag and marinate 4 hours or overnight.  Place rack in pan and drizzle with any remaining marinade.  Grill or broil at medium high heat for 3 minutes on each side for medium rare.
 
And absolutely no mint jelly!  This recipe serves my husband and I.  If I was ever having anyone over to my house that actually liked lamb I'd do a variation of this recipe with a leg of lamb.  You could add some garlic to the marinade or you could just rub the chops with olive oil and sprinkle with some garlic powder.  Or just fry 'em up in a pan with some salt.  Just don't get mutton.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment