Thursday, August 2, 2012

What a Weekend

  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
  
  
I wish every weekend was like my last.  My brother came to town for a few days and we had a great,albeit short, fun time.  He arrived Thursday evening just in time for dinner.  Yes, it is planned that way.  After dinner we stayed up much too late, drinking a little too much and just talked and talked.  Needless to say we weren't exactly up at the crack of dawn on Friday.

Friday night we met a good friend for dinner at Harry Caray's.  More eating, drinking and laughing.  If you get to Harry Caray's these items are a must to try:  the Antipasto Platter (one of the best I've ever had), the Tomato Bruschetta, and the Seafood Cobb salad.  Really, really good dishes.  After dinner we went to the car show where we both discovered we liked GTO's a lot more than either of us remembered.

Saturday was Farmer's Market day.  My brother loves walking around the Farmer's Market as they have nothing like it where he lives.  He took some great pictures of the vendors fares which I think may be hanging in my kitchen soon.  But first he needs to remember to email them to me.  Nudge, nudge. 

After the Farmer's Market we were off to Hobby Lobby.  Unlike my husband, my brother loves to wander the aisles with me.  Even if we don't purchase anything we walk out with ideas. Note to Hobby Lobby:  consider opening a store in Middle Village, NY.  The closest one for my brother is 100 miles away.

Our last outing Saturday was to the Graue Mill Museum.  It is one of three authenticated stops on the underground railroad in Illinois.  It is also the only working waterwheel grist mill in the state.

Of course when my brother comes I love to cook for him, he appreciates everything I make and it's a treat for him because he's not into cooking very much.  Whereas I think my husband is just plain spoiled.  So what did I pack up for him to take home in his cooler?  First, I gave him bread, mayo and heirloom tomatoes so he could make sandwiches on his long drive home.  Then there were barbecued ribs, au gratin potatoes, cole slaw, and this

Louisiana Style Barbecued Shrimp

4 lbs shrimp (13-15 lb size) with shells on
1 lb butter
1 cup olive oil
4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground thyme
4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp ground basil
2 tsp paprika
6 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp ground rosemary
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp Liquid smoke
1 tsp lemon juice
3 bay leaves, finely crushed

Rinse shrimp and drain.  Spread out in a shallow baking pan.  Combine remaining ingredients in sauce pan, over low heat, until butter is melted.  Pour over shrimp.  Marinate for several hours or overnight.  Bake at 325 F until shrimp turn pink, turning every 10 minutes for even cooking.  Do not overcook.  Serve shrimp in deep bowls with crusty French bread.  Have extra bowls for discarded shells and lots and lots of napkins.
 
I like that he took part of me home with him.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment