Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My joys

  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
  
  
Having had no children and so it follows, no grandchildren, I am remarkably fortunate to have some wonderful children in my life.  I have four that live right next to me.  I don't like these little individuals just because they live next door.  I've had some holy terrors in my time.  I like them because they are happy, thoughtful and caring.  When my husband had been hospitalized and they hadn't seen him for awhile, they rang the doorbell to see if he was O.K.  When he's in his man cave, they knock on the window to say Hello.  They also bring our garbage carts down the driveway for us.  Even if we don't know it, they know we're old.  And we enjoy having them appreciate that we have the best driveway ever for sledding, downhill bicycling, and racing.

Additionally, I am the adopted aunt to my friend's grandchildren.  Currently there are four and the oldest, who reminds me will soon be nine years old, have happily been a part of my life.  I sometimes wonder what I would do without these rays of sunshine in my life.
Recently, I have been watching three of my four for a few hours after school, one day a week.  I enjoy talking to them, seeing what their interests are, and seeing them interact with each other,  I don't remember how the subject came about but I told them I was doing a blog about cooking and recipes.  We started talking and I told them that I'd like to include them.   What they like, what they don't like and what they haven't tried yet.  I started interviewing the oldest and she asked me "are we done yet?"  We weren't but I told her we could finish it later.  I don't want this to be a chore.
Last week my oldest nephew asked if we could cook.  I told him I didn't have anything planned but that we could cook next week.  That was today.  I had asked him what he wanted to make and he said "pizza and cornbread."  Okay, it's a little heavy on the carbs but at least it's not chocolate on top of marshmallows.  That would be my younger nephews suggestion.  

So what a time we had.  I taught them how to spread the pizza sauce, and no you can't lick the spoon and put it back in the sauce.  I showed them my trick for sprinkling the Parmesan cheese (fill the spoon and gently tap it), how to blot the fresh mozzarella, and how many pepperonis can be placed on one pizza.

We did the corn bread first and because I was making it for them and not for adults it contained no pieces of corn and no jalapenos.  They wanted their cornbread plain.  They loved it.  And this is why I'm not giving you any recipes.  Know your children, know what they like.  Absolutely, have them try new things.  The one who wanted cheese pizza was eating the pepperoni from the package. But I'll tell you what.  It is absolutely true when you involve your children in cooking, you'll get so much more than you bargained for




I don't need any more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment