Monday, March 11, 2013

Dueling Spoons




  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
  
When my husband and I got married we rented an apartment that was very close to my Mom's house so we often had dinners together.  This is not to say we cooked together.  About the only thing that we allowed to be done for one another was the setting of the table.  My Mom and I were great friends until it was time to cook.  I didn't stir the pot correctly.  She didn't chop the vegetables the way I did.  "Don't use that knife."  "You're putting in too much salt."  "That isn't brown enough."  And finally, either of us at some point, speaking in a very loud voice, "just let me do it!"

We enjoyed each others company, food and drink but not sharing the kitchen.  I think that actually quite a few cooks get territorial when it comes to their kitchens.  A friend of mine won't allow anyone behind her counter.  I'll step back there just to make her insane.  But I'd never, ever offer to help her cook.  I know better.

Happily, when my Mom and my husband and I combined our living arrangements it was in the spirit of togetherness and yet maintaining our privacy.  We bought a two flat.  She had her kitchen and I had mine.  She could "tsk" all she wanted while I cooked and I had the same luxury when she was the chef.  But I didn't stir her pots and she didn't stir mine, if you know what I mean.

One of the things we enjoyed was our soup and bread night.  We did this once a week and either she or I would make the soup and the other would make the bread.  As a rule, I generally did better in the bread department and she did better with the soups.  

But there was one glorious, mark it on the calendar day when I heard "this soup is best one yet."  I made sure the next day that I actually heard it correctly, that I wasn't dreaming.  My husband confirmed it.  I had made the best soup .  I was ready to call off all future soup making.  I wanted to embroider that and hang it up in my kitchen and point to it the next time I was tsked in the kitchen.
 
Do I think this is the all time best soup recipe?  It doesn't matter, my Mom did.

Peanut Soup
 
 
2 ribs celery, chopped  
1 small onion, chopped
1 stick (4 ounces) butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 quarts chicken broth, heated
2 cups peanut butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon celery salt
1 cup ground peanuts
Sauté the celery and onion in the butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven for 5 minutes. Add the flour, stirring until blended. Stir in the hot chicken broth. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Strain, discarding the solids. Return the liquid to the saucepan. Stir in the peanut butter, lemon juice, salt, and celery salt. Cook just until heated through, stirring frequently. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with ground peanuts. Makes about 2 1/2 quarts.
 
 
 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment