Friday, July 13, 2012

Happy Birthday!

  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
  
  
Today is my Brother's birthday and if he was here I'd be making whatever he wanted for dinner because that's how we do it in my family.  No fancy restaurants but good food and a great time just hanging out.  I wrote before that my birthday dinner pick was always my Mom's baked spaghetti.  

Since I am seldom with my Brother on his birthday I don't know what he would pick for his special day.  I do know however that he rarely cooks for himself so almost anything that is homemade will be a treat.  When he comes to visit I try to get in a few of his favorites.  A good meatloaf is one he particularly enjoys.  I love making meatloaf because it's one of those dishes that can change every time  you make it.  You can add cheese, salsa, barbecue sauce, onions, red bell peppers, and sometimes you'll find a hard boiled egg in the center.  The most important thing about a good meatloaf is the meat itself.  Some stores sell what they call a meatloaf blend which is usually ground pork and ground beef.  A great meatloaf blend adds some ground veal to the mix.  You take your rings off, mix all the ingredients you happen to be using, by hand.  A raw egg gets added to the mix and instead of using soaked bread I just throw in some Panko bread crumbs.  Shape it into a loaf and bake at 350.   The time for baking will, of course, depend upon the size of your loaf.  I bake a 1 1/2 lb. loaf for 1 1/2 hours.  A great sauce for this would involve 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 Tablespoon brown sugar and 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard. Mix together and serve with your meatloaf.
 
Turkey is another one of his favorites and since it's the middle of July, I'd just throw one one the grill.  Turkey on the grill has a totally different but equally delicious taste.  You set the grill up for indirect heat and if you have a gas grill like I do, you try to keep the temperature around 350.   Again the cooking time will vary according to the size of the turkey.  My best advice, get a turkey with a pop up timer.  I'd be sure to get a large enough turkey so my Brother and I could enjoy some turkey sandwiches later.
 
I would also make some barbecue ribs (you already have that recipe), some corn on the cob, potato salad and coleslaw.  We'd sit on the deck, have a few cocktails and just enjoy being together.
 
That is really what cooking is all about, sharing good meals with those you love.  So Happy Birthday baby Brother and I hope I'm cooking for you soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment