Friday, July 6, 2012

It's Too Damn Hot

  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
  
  
For the last three days the temperature on my deck has been 106 degrees.  The three days before that it only topped out at 100 degrees.  As much as I love to cook and barbecue this weather is taking a toll on me.  It hasn't been cooling off much in the evenings.  Just about the time my air conditioning seems to be kicking in upstairs and it's comfortable to sleep it's about time to start all over again.  So, I'm also a little cranky from lack of sleep.

So I've decided that this weekend is going to be all about comfort.  To this end, I'll be starting the car ten minutes before our departure time to any restaurant that has quality air conditioning and hopefully some quality food too.  The car will be cool after ten minutes, we'll park as close as humanly possible to the restaurant and try to make it to the front door before we melt on the blacktop.

We're lucky where we live that we have all  kinds of good restaurants to choose from, Chinese, Italian, steak houses, pizza, Thai, seafood, burger joints and  all around American.  They are all close by and have not disappointed us in the past.  Do, I feel bad about someone else slaving over a hot stove, oven or barbecue when I can't stand to?  I do, a little but not enough to resort to preparing it myself when the weather is this overbearing.  

So while we're deciding what we're going to have for dinner, we'll be sipping on this.  And yes, sometimes you just don't want to cook and that is OK.

Lynchburg Lemonade

Be careful when sipping these, it does taste like lemonade even though there isn't any in it and it can surely sneak up on you


1 part Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
1 part sweet and sour mix
1 part Triple Sec
4 parts  Sprite


Mix and pour over ice.
.




No comments:

Post a Comment