Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cooking isn't male or female

  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
We've all heard it and most of us subscribe to the statement  that Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus.  Many women feel that most men do not appreciate the need to shop even when the closets are full to bursting.  Most men feel that most women don't understand the need to watch the sport highlights, after they watched the game and saw the instant replays twelve times.  Women feel men are helpless and hopeless when they are ill.  Men feel women are helpless and hopeless when it comes to deciding what dress to wear.  And so it goes on and on.

But the men from Mars and women from Venus thing does not play out when it comes to cooking.  There is no differentiating between the sexes on this one, either you cook or you don't.  Some women do, some don't, some men do, some don't.  Whatever your sex you probably  fall into one of the following categories:
 
I'm just here to eat- I don't shop, I don't help prepare, I don't clean up and I may not even  comment on the food.  This category requires you to eat all your meals out as surely some cook will kill you.  

I'm willing to do my part but not cook-I will shop if you give me a detailed shopping list, I'll help chop, clear the table,load the dishwasher and tell you dinner was divine.  You'll be welcome at any cook's table and will probably be invited over frequently.

I'll cook but that's it-I will get along great with "willing to do my part"  listed above.  You will also get frequent dinner invitations as who wouldn't want someone to cook for them?  Unless, of course, your idea of cooking is opening a can of Spaghetti-O's.

I'll do it all-I will find the recipe, locate the ingredients, prepare the dinner, coordinate the table linens,  arrange the dinner music, flambe dessert at the table, clean the kitchen and have the coffee set up for the morning's breakfast.  Well, what can I say?  You'll be on everyone's guest list---male or female---it doesn't matter.  It doesn't matter because it's only in your dreams.


Chili
This is a recipe my husband came across and that he actually prepares.  As to the category he might fit into, just guess.  This chili tastes much better the next day.

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground round
1 onion chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 28 ounce can tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon chili powder
2 15 ounce cans red kidney beans
2 cups cooked macaroni
 Garnishes as you like
1 7 ounce can chopped green chilies 
Sour cream
Shredded cheese
Oyster crackers
Hot sauce
 
Brown beef with onions and garlic and drain fat.  Add tomatoes and seasonings and simmer gently uncovered 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Add kidney beans, heat to boiling.  Add macaroni and heat to serving temperature.  Garnish as desired.
 
I think this is a mild chili so if you want to spice it up, add a jalapeno to the chopped onions or add more cayenne pepper, or add some hot sauce.   Make it your way, after all you're the cook.






No comments:

Post a Comment