Thursday, March 8, 2012

Then and Now

 
  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
     
When I was a kid (circa: a long time ago) having company for dinner was governed by hard and fast rules.  Now, this may not have been the case in all homes but it was in ours and our friends.  Here's how it went.  The hostess, in this case, my Mom, did it all.  This resulted in her being in the kitchen, while the guests, the host (my Dad) and the kids were in the living room.   The guests and host having appetizers  and cocktails, the kids being kids and Mom nowhere in sight.  Mom occasionally slipped in and out in between stirring sauces, checking temperatures and turning whatever was sauteing.  I don't think she ever heard the start or finish of one complete sentence.  She did the entire menu, the appetizers, the meat, the potatoes, the salad, the dressing and the dessert.  You can bet none of it came from off the shelf.  Guests brought a small gift for the house, flowers or a bottle of wine along with their appetite.  No one brought food and no one expected them to.  It would have been insulting.  No one helped clean up, that's what you had kids for.  My Mom, after dessert, could then join the guests for after dinner drinks and attempt to catch  up on everything that was discussed earlier.  The dishwasher (me) was safely out of earshot for the grown up conversations that went along just fine with me in the room before dinner.  If the guests left before I was done washing,drying and putting away the dishes, my Mom would come and help me and quiz me about what she missed.  "What was Beth talking about when she said Mrs. Allen had really done it this time?"  "I dunno," I was only ten, "something about a drinking problem."  Turns out Mrs. Allen had become dehydrated for not drinking enough water while she was at the beach.  You just can't trust a kid to get the whole story particularly when same kid is busy dreading the future dish washing.  Company, in those times, meant you were "at" dinner.

Now having company for dinner is a lot more casual with my friends.  Our dinners are just as fine and they aren't rigid.  This took a little adjusting for me at first.  My friends would ask what they could bring and they meant food!  I'd stammer "nothing" but they would show up with things anyway.  Things you could eat!  Then I realized if I was smart I'd play this to my advantage and have them bring a) things I wasn't good at or b) things that were too much trouble or c) both.  That isn't the only thing that has changed.  Sometimes the guests, cocktails and appetizers never leave the kitchen.  While  checking the temperature of the roast someone is actually refilling my cocktail. Now you're not at dinner, you are part of the dinner.  I like that a lot better.

One of my most treasured Thanksgivings was at my house with my friends.  I made the turkey, the stuffing, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.  My friends brought everything else, the mashed potatoes, corn pudding, appetizers, desserts and wine.  It was wonderful.  While we were timing re-heatings and letting the turkey rest, the women scoped out the ads for the pre-dawn sales at the kitchen table and the guys watched football on the family room TV.  I just know my Mom is looking down on me tsk tsking.  But I didn't miss out on a single conversation which is a pretty good thing because my dishwasher doesn't speak.

Baked Eggplant Parmesan

Olive oil for baking sheets
2 large eggs
3/4 cup panko crumbs
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
plus more for topping ( about 2 Tablespoons)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 large eggplants (about 2 1/2 lbs total) peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
48 ounces of your favorite chunky tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 375.  Brush two baking sheets with oil.  In a wide, shallow bowl whisk together eggs and two tablespoons of water.  In another bowl, combine 3/4 cup Parmesan, oregano, panko crumbs, and basil.  Season with salt and pepper.
Dip eggplant into egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in panko mixture, coating well, then place on baking sheets.  Bake until golden brown on bottom, 20 to 25 minutes.  Turn slices and continue baking until browned on other side, 20 to 25 minutes more.

Spread two cups sauce in a 9 x 13 baking pan.  Arrange half the eggplant in the dish, cover with two cups of sauce, then 1/2 cup mozzarella.  Top with remaining eggplant, sauce and mozzarella.  Sprinkle with additional Parmesan.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment