Thursday, March 15, 2012

Seconds

  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
  
In Peg Bracken's I Hate to Cook Book she has a chapter entitled "The Leftover or Everyone needs a dog."   As a rule, I generally agree.  I am not a big fan of leftovers and if my neighbors wouldn't object, they probably wouldn't have to buy dog food again for their boxer and bulldog.  I know, I know, people food isn't good for dogs.  I'm just trying to make a point.

As we all know rules are meant to be broken and I admit to liking some leftovers, actually I might like some better the second time around.   However, I do not re-purpose as some cooks do.  I don't try to turn that leftover pasta into a baked nest with an egg  cooked on top.  I like my leftovers in the simplest form-turned into a sandwich.  Who doesn't love the day after Thanksgiving turkey sandwich?  Sometimes I don't make it to Friday,  I'm making the sandwich while contemplating where all the other leftovers are going.  I've been known to have turkey sandwiches for breakfast.

My next leftover sandwich is meatloaf.  I don't even have to warm it up.  Give me some rye bread, some ketchup and I'm good to go.  

One of my favorite sandwiches will be coming up this Sunday with my leftover corned beef.  Ah, the reuben.  It was while I was dating my husband that I discovered the wonderfulness of 1,000 island dressing,corned beef, sauerkraut,  and swiss cheese  heaped on rye bread.  In those days I could only eat half a sandwich.  Now, I'm proud to say, I can eat the whole thing.  And,yes, it shows.

So first you have to make the corned beef dinner that gives you the leftover corned beef which is what you wanted in the first place.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef
Flat cut corned beef
Pickling spice
Red potatoes
Carrots
Cabbage cut into wedges
Water, Stout, or  Apple Cider or a combination

Get out your slow cooker, put the potatoes and carrots in the bottom.  Put the corned beef on top.  Put in enough of whatever liquid you are using to cover top of the corned beef.  If your corned beef came with a pickling spice packet sprinkle into liquid.  If not add two tablespoons pickling spice.  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.  About one hour before serving, add cabbage to the slow cooker.  

Now for the reuben

Melt a small amount of butter in pan.  Spread two slices of bread with 1,000 island dressing, place sliced corned beef on top of dressing, top that with sauerkraut and then the cheese.  Top it off with the other slice of bread, dressing side down.  Put the sandwich into the pan with the melted butter, cheese side down first.  Cook for two minutes.  Flip and cook another 2 minutes, adding more butter if needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment