Friday, June 22, 2012

Farmer's Market Eve


  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
  
  
I'm so excited I can hardly wait for tomorrow when I can go to the Farmers Market.  It is going to be a little different this week as the location is being moved to coincide with the fest that starts tonight.  I don't care where it is as long as a) I can still find a parking space and b) my favorite vendors are there.  

When I walk around and look at all the produce I want to buy everything!  It all looks so good and I envision myself cooking for the entire weekend so that I can make everything.  This is unrealistic for two reasons 1) I like to cook but not for sixteen hours over a weekend and 2) there's a limit as to how much my husband and I can consume.  So, although everything tempts me I must be selective. 

I can stock up on the beautifully colored bell peppers.  The red, orange and yellow are easier for me to handle digestively so I'll opt for those over the green.  Stuffed bell peppers are easy to make, we like them and they freeze extremely well.  For recipe see March 22nd post.

Next will be some corn on the cob.  My Mom told me when she was a girl visiting relatives in Virginia that during the summer there would be corn suppers.  Corn and nothing else, unless you count the salt, pepper and butter.  I can do that.  And if I can't finish it all, the corn will freeze well too.

Last summer I bought beets and made beet borscht.  It was delicious, if I do say so myself.  I'm sure most people would rather go hungry than try it but it's really quite good.  If I'm not in the mood for borscht, I can pickle them and they'll keep a long while.

Cauliflower cooked on the grill is fantastic.  You smear butter over the head of the cauliflower, sprinkle with salt and pepper and wrap the whole head in aluminum foil.  Place head side down on the grill and grill for 30 minutes over medium heat.  It turns out perfectly cooked.

I'll pick up some shallots, green onions and maybe some leeks.  It's probably too early for heirloom tomatoes but when they arrive I'll be in tomato sandwich heaven.  

Oh, and last summer one of the vendors had garnet sweet potatoes.  They were by far the best sweet potatoes we had ever eaten.  

Uh, oh.  I haven't even gotten to the fruit yet and it looks like I'm already heading for a weekend of cooking.

Well, I do know this, it's summer and I mark the occasion every year with barbecued ribs.  So I'll visit Jake's  and get some of his St. Louis ribs.  Hopefully, I'll get around to everything else that I buy tomorrow.

For the Sauce

1 1/2 cups bottled chili sauce
1/3 cup apple jelly
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Bring all ingredients to a boil in heavy sauce pan.  Reduce heat and simmer one minute.  Cool completely.  (Sauce can be prepared 3 weeks ahead)  Cover and refrigerate.  This is also a great cocktail sauce for shrimp.

For the ribs

4 1/2 - 5 lbs cut into 3 rib sections (I prefer the St. Louis ribs as they have more meat)

Place ribs in a large pot and cover with hot water.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat add 2 teaspoons of salt, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.  Drain well.  Pour 3/4 cup sauce over ribs and be sure to coat all the ribs.  (I do this in a plastic bag and just squeeze the sauce around).  Refrigerate overnight and bring to room temperature before grilling.  Have grill at high heat and grill ribs until sauce browns slightly and ribs are heated through, brushing occasionally with additional sauce about 5 minutes per side.  Transfer ribs to platter and pass remaining sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment