Thursday, June 14, 2012

Girl's Weekend



  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
  
   
It is Fathers Day weekend and the girls get the gift.  The boys are going off fishing for the weekend and the wives are spending the weekend together to swim, eat and drink and therefor be merry.  Friday night we'll dine at a restaurant as one of us must work that day and the others will be tired from a day at the pool.  I am sure there will be cocktails involved when we return from dinner.

Here's something weird about the cocktail thing, I am a simple girl, just give me my vodka on the rocks and I'm good to go.  What could be easier, right?  Well, somehow, I became the bartender for the cocktail of the moment for my friends.  I don't really know where this went wrong.  My drink takes all of 5 seconds to create , even less if the ice maker is cooperating.  Their drinks require measuring that is more or less precise and generally consists of three or more ingredients.  And sometimes they even require that I defile vodka to create these concoctions.  I could down three drinks in the time I mix up one batch.  Oh, the trials and tribulations of a master blender.

Saturday will involve more pooling.  After the pool, the plans are for some pampering with facials and pedicures, and then on to the barbecue.

Once again I was thrown for a loop when I asked what my contribution would be and heard " a side dish and dessert."  What dessert again?  I guess the Creamsicle pie was a hit.  So why mess up a good thing?  I'll do a different take on it this time.  I bought an Oreo crust, some coconut macaroon ice cream and some chocolate ice cream.  This time, I'm going to leave off the Cool Whip.  Soften the ice creams, make the coconut macaroon the first layer, the chocolate the second and refreeze.  How bad could it be?

I know that the meal will be based around a marinated pork tenderloin so I thought what goes great with pork---apples.  But I wanted to do something a little different so I'm doing apples with acorn squash.  And since I'm doing it ahead of time, we'll just have to have more of those cocktails.

Apples and Squash

1 medium acorn squash peeled and sliced  or cubed
2 apples (I'm using Granny Smith) peeled and cut into wedges
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Combine all ingredients.  Cover pan with foil and bake for 50-60 minutes.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment