Thursday, June 7, 2012

Happy Times



  • Just because a recipe calls for it doesn't mean you have to use it (I hate cilantro but love parsley)
  • Do not ever believe the number of servings because it makes a big difference on who you are feeding
  • Good cooking does not have to be or should it be difficult
  • Not everything has to be made from scratch
  • Great ideas come from food magazines but be daring and change them up
  • Cooking for family and friends is good for the soul
 
  
 
It is now getting into my favorite cooking time of year.  Barbecue and the start of Farmer's Markets.  I love to cook on the grill and happily my husband does not feel that it's his domain so I can run the grill all by myself.  I have a natural gas grill and I'm sure many enthusiasts are jumping up and down claiming that it can't be true barbecue unless it is done on charcoal or in a smoker.  Well, if you've read my posts you know that I am all about easy cooking.  Easy is not lugging, dumping and starting charcoal.  It is easier for me to control the cooking temperature with a gas grill.  This is very important as my kitchen has an unusually small oven and I have had to supplement with the grill to make Thanksgiving dinner.  Then there is the safety issue.  My grill is on a deck that is my garage roof.  I don't think a random ember would be a good thing.

The Farmer's Market is one of my favorite things of summer.  I love walking around all the vendors, checking out all the produce, the bakery goods, the cheese, the honey, the olive oils, the herbs, and the overall ambiance of the place.  At my Farmer's Market there is also a wonderful pork vendor and you should check out their website to see if they will be at a market near you in Illinois or Michigan, it's JakesCountryMeats.com.  I have purchased some of the best pork I have ever eaten from them, roasts, chops, ribs and they also have some frozen fish.  We brought some of their smoked trout to a party and it  was scarfed  up in a hurry.  I like supporting local businesses and when they have quality products, like Jake's does, I want to pass the word.  And no, I am in no way related to Jake or anyone in his family. 

Unfortunately,  I am going to miss the Farmers Market both this week and next due to circumstances that are totally out of my control and unavoidable.  I am pretty upset about it and so I am going to dig one of Jake's pork roasts out of the freezer and make this for dinner on Sunday.  And nothing else better happen to the rest of my Saturdays!

Grilled Pork
  Pork Roast ( I used a pork shoulder with bones) about 4 lbs.
4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
Kosher salt
Ground pepper

     Remove the pork roast from the refrigerator and let warm to room temperature on the  counter for about 30 minutes
Light the grill for indirect grilling.  If using a charcoal grill, light an entire chimney full of coals and let burn until there is white ash on the top coals.  For a gas grill, light half of the burners to high and leave the other half unlit.
Whisk together the Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar.
Add in the rosemary, garlic and thyme, combine well and then set the mixture aside.
If using a charcoal grill, pile all of the lit coals to once side of the grill and put a drip pan under the grate on the cool side.
Rub the pork roast all over with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Sear the pork roast on all sides on the hot part of the grill.
Once the pork roast has been seared on all side, move it over the drip pan on the cool side of the grill.
Smear the mustard, vinegar and herb mixture all over the pork roast.
Close the lid and grill the pork roast until it reaches an inner temperature of about 145 degrees.
Remove the roast from the grill, place on a platter and loosely cover with aluminum foil.
      Let the roast rest for about 10 – 15 minutes before carving


No comments:

Post a Comment